top of page
Geometric Architecture

College way

into the Industry

After your GCSEs you can choose to go the educational route and go to college. Further Education usually means courses taken at a college. For construction, there are a number of technical and vocational courses so whatever your career goal, there's likely to be a college course that will help you get there.

Many colleges and training providers offer courses which are directly linked to construction and the built environment, such as bricklaying, carpentry and joinery, civil engineering, heritage skills and technician trades, along with supervision and management courses. They are also likely to offer courses which could help you move into other areas of the sector such as Architecture, Interior Design, accountancy, law, computer-aided design (CAD) and IT. Colleges and training providers may also offer A Levels and Access courses as a stepping stone to university.

Who is it for?

Most full time college courses are attended by 16–19 year olds, but you will find plenty of adults studying in a college on a range of short, part-time, professional or Higher Education courses. Whether you're just starting out, or you're looking to change your career, college courses can provide a starting point. You can go to college to continue studying straight after finishing your GCSEs, or at a later stage in life to pursue new interests or improve your career prospects.

How long does it last?

College courses vary hugely in length and time taken. If studied full time, they are often around two years long but can be shorter or longer. It really depends on the qualification you do and if you choose to study full-time or part-time.

What’s included in a Course?

Your course may involve a mixture of teaching, practical work, assignments and exams. You might want to study in person or online via distance learning, or choose a hands-on subject rather than focusing purely on academic, classroom-based learning. Your provider will talk to you about the options you have regarding different types of study.

What happens once I complete my Course? 

When you've finished a college or training course, you could go into University to study for higher-level qualifications, start an apprenticeship from Level 4 or look for work experience.

Any Questions?

Visit our contact us page and submit your query. Our team will help!

Be Inspired

Read the stories of Young Women working within Construction and the routes they took there.

bottom of page